Monday, April 16, 2007

Holy crap-crap-crappy weekend

I've been realizing lately that I'm getting a little burned-out with doing massage full-time, and due to the pregnancy, I'm not sure how much longer I can keep up with the physical demands. I do a lot of intense, deep tissue work, sports-style massage, and stretching, which has been taking it's toll on my body lately. That, combined with my conflicted feelings regarding my workplace and boss, has led me to start seeking alternative employment. If I've told you my stories about Vee, you know what I mean. So, I had been keeping an eye out for office assisting/administrative type of positions, with the intention of securing one that will meet my needs for the next year or so, then giving a professional 2-weeks notice at the spa. Oops, change of plans.

I am seriously too tired to recount the whole story, but a privileged few know about the professional goodbye my boss gave me as I ended up quitting my job over the phone at 7pm on Saturday. Let's just say I shouldn't repeat it because I'm going to be someone's mother soon, and I'm trying to give up that kind of language. Ahem. Wow. Didn't want it to happen this way, but it was going to happen eventually, so now, to use her words, I just wish her distance.

I went back to the spa yesterday and caught up on all of my treatment notes, cleaned up my room, and packed all my stuff. It felt liberating and nerve-racking at the same time. I felt somewhat better later in the evening after Dad came over and Rick grilled some mm-mm-mm tasty burgers. However, when Vee called again at 8:30 this morning, I felt physically ill. My heart was pounding, I felt sick to my stomach, and I couldn't get my hands to stop shaking. Wow, if ever I needed confirmation that I did the right thing, even if it was in a less than ideal manner, I think that seals it.

Getting better tonight after eating for the first time today at 7 this evening. Got my resume out a lot today, went on a positive interview this afternoon, got a call on another prospect while I was gone, and talked to some really great friends and former colleagues on the phone. (Dana, Frances, and Amy are my angels) I'll do some more follow-up for Tuesday, maybe hit some of the staffing agencies, then the monthly OB appointment at 3:30. The sun'll come out tomorrow.....

2 comments:

Dana said...

I'm surprised you were able to put up with Vee as long as you did! It won't take her long to realize what she's missing, with you not being there any longer

Good luck finding something new!

bullwinkl said...

Something to look forward to - I just transcribed this in an ER report: "The patient is a pleasant 4-year-old who presents with a foreign body in his nose. He thinks it's the head of an army man." I cracked up when I typed that one. :)

BTW, you're not the only one going through a job change right now. Aubrey got canned last Friday. She's pretty bummed about it, too. Is there a full moon or something?

It's never fun to go through those things, but in my experience losing one job has always been an opportunity to do something new/different/better in the next job. After two layoffs from my computer repair job (1 expected, 1 not), which I just loved, I now do medical transcription at home. It's the "at home" part that I really love. I get to chuckle at some of the situations people get themselves into like the above, but I LOVE working at home! You'd have to pay me a LOT of money to go to an office every day again.