Sunday, April 8, 2007

Fertility, flowers, & foul foods

Ah, Easter, that sweet and logical time of year when we celebrate the resurrection of Jesus with Pagan fertility symbols like bunnies and eggs. Just ask Stan from South Park what it all means here.
I know, I am a terrible blasphemer, an evil heathen, and I will be punished. But didn't God grace us with intelligence and a sense of humor? So, South Park is really offensive, usually over the top and gross, and yes, it is a cartoon, and no, children should not watch it, but I still find it freakin' hilarious.

Also on the subject of Easter, we're usually seeing beautiful weather and all of the early spring flowers have burst forth. Yup, they did a lot of bursting last week, and then Mother Nature decided to kick them in the gut. After temps in the 80's last Monday, it has now plunged to 22 degrees. I was so ecstatic when the tulip bulbs I lovingly planted bloomed into beautiful reds, pinks & yellows. I have a bit of a bad history with plants, so this is an accomplishment for me. Now all hope is lost and my pride has turned to shame.



















So cruel, so sad, taken out when in their prime. I seem to remember lots of literature from high school English that reiterated the lesson that man should never think he can conquer Mother Nature. We never learn.

Also on the subject of Easter, the Nash family prepares for it's annual gathering in Smithville. Cousin Geraldine has graciously offered to host us again. Grandma Nash called me last week to fill me in on the details and informed me that Geraldine had me down for deviled eggs. She "had me down" for them? As in I'm famous for my love of and fantastic making of deviled eggs? Let the record show, right now, that:
a) I'm not a picky eater. There are just a few foods in the American diet that gross me out. Deviled eggs being one of them.
b) I'm a pretty decent cook. There are any number of dishes I could prepare well and would have been happy to bring to our Easter gathering. Macaroni & Cheese, anyone?
c) On my top 10 list of favorite things to do on a Saturday night after I get home from rubbing people's hairy backs, while I'm pregnant and sensitive to foul smells, being on my feet in the kitchen, hard-boiling and peeling a dozen eggs ranks at #672.
So, in spite of long-standing family delusions that I like deviled eggs, I have never even hard boiled an egg before. (I'm a scrambled egg girl.) My very loving and patient father gave me instructions over the phone, happy I'm sure to help, because it meant he didn't have to peel a dozen hard boiled eggs this year. Well, it was ugly, and time consuming, and smelly as I predicted, but they are done. I don't wish illness on my family, and would feel horrible if my grandma or an elderly cousin were to contract food poisoning, but I'm secretly hoping that they are AWFUL so I won't get asked to bring them again. Deviled egg making tips:
1. Use old (but not yet expired) crappy cheap white eggs. I just happen to buy high quality brown eggs for our normal household consumption because the nutritional value is way better. The brown shells seem harder & thicker, thus making peeling a tedious and frustrating process.
2. Let the eggs cool a lot before attempting to peel. I learned this the hard way as my wonderful husband tried to help me.
3. If you actually like these things, it might be good to taste your finished product before serving. I'm flying blind, sans taste-test today. I guess they look like deviled eggs....

Happy Easter everyone!

4 comments:

Welch said...

I actually happen to be one of those deviled egg loving fools though I can fully conceptualize the bad-smell/no good/etc etc of how the preparation of such a dish might adversely effect you. If it makes you feel any better I have a family that is full of the misconception that I love cucumbers and creed's music .... the likes of which I'm sure could induce such reactions in myself that foul-smelling undesirables would inflict on a prego lady such as yourself. Go figure, I guess it has to be something for each of us. At least it's over! :0) HAPPY EASTER (and on a bit of the baby note, I was actually born on Easter Sunday. Boo Ya!)

Megan said...

Yay for blogs o'plenty! Love it. I have a strange relationship with deviled eggs. I eat them, but they kind of gross me out at the same time. I have to eat the egg all at once, I can't take bites out of it, b/c it just gets beyond weird at that point. Kudos to you for actually making the damned things. I would've told them to shove it, and made brownies instead. They smell/taste SO much better. ;o)

Annette said...

Oh cuz, you've got me laughing in the aisles! I happen to LOVE deviled eggs, and yours looked especially scrumptious-ee. Mmmmmmm.

Dana said...

I just had a big fat Italian dinner and about a pound of chocolate, but the pics of those lil' devils just made me hungry. Nice work!